We decided it was time for a baby!
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I met my GoodReads challenge, although it was touch and go for awhile because I couldn't read due to pregnancy nausea. Fortunately, it let up just before the end of the year, so I finished my reading goal.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Our nephew was born on January 1, and several friends also had babies later in 2018.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
A couple of older family members passed away this year.
5. What countries did you visit?
US, China, Thailand
6. What would you like to have in 2019 that you lacked in 2018?
Still better Chinese.
7. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Revamping the graduate courses I taught last year so that the students were actually improving basic English skills while still maintaining the curriculum goals the school had set.
8. What was your biggest failure?
Not studying Chinese enough, but again, I have to blame a lot of that on months of nausea! Hopefully 2019 will be better :(
9. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I injured my leg when I fell in October, but fortunately, it wasn't too serious. I don't think I got sick at all this past year after I recovered from the flu-like thing I had last Christmas. I felt sick a lot during the first trimester, but obviously that wasn't a real illness.
10. What was the best thing you bought?
A dog toy/treat for Aka from Starmark that I found on Taobao. It's been pretty indestructible and Aka loves to chase it and chew on it. The "everlasting" treat inside isn't so indestructible. He managed to finish the first one in 15 minutes. But he has loved playing with the ball afterward.
11. Where did most of your money go?
I was too busy to do much budgeting this year, but I'm guessing groceries and things for Aka, our new dog.
12. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Learning how to cook new dishes after I started staying at home and before first trimester nausea set in
13. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
Happier (last year at this time, I was super sick)
b) thinner or fatter?
Fatter (starting to gain weight now that the second trimester has started)
c) richer or poorer?
14. What do you wish you'd done more of?
15. What do you wish you'd done less of?
16. What was your favourite TV program?
Kim's Convenience, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and The Great British Baking Show
17. What was the best book you read?
A Higher Loyalty by James Comey
18. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Piano playing...no real discoveries of artists
19. What did you want and get?
A dog and a baby (at least on the way)
20. What did you want and not get?
Two bathrooms in our apartment (again)...maybe next year
21. What was your favourite film of this year?
Crazy Rich Asians and Bird Box
22. What did you do on your birthday?
Matt and I went out to an Italian restaurant near our new home
23. How did you celebrate Christmas?
We got to spend it in the US this year. We went to Calvary's Christmas Eve service with Matt's family, then out for Indian food afterward. On Christmas Day, we opened gifts and had a relaxing day at home.
24. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2018?
Where we live now is a bit more old-fashioned (or maybe behind in fashion?) so I really don't do much to look trendy. Just being a foreigner gets me enough staring, so I don't really wear make-up or dress clothes. I'll sometimes even take our dog out in my pajamas, which people around here think is totally normal. So...a bit lazy now that I'm not working and living in a less trendy area.
25. What kept you sane?
God and Matt
26. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jimmy Fallon and Stephen Colbert
27. What political issue stirred you the most?
Always climate change/environmental issues
28. Who did you miss?
Friends from Qingdao
29. Who was the best new person you met?
Matt's new co-workers
30. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2018.
Those who fail to plan may plan to fail, but still - hold your plans loosely.