The other day, I experienced MSG poisoning for the 2nd time. Before we moved here, I didn't know that was even a thing. I don't think I'm particularly sensitive to MSG, but I guess large amounts of it can affect anyone.
The first time it happened was a couple of years ago. We went to a restaurant with some friends that sold only soup. It was super delicious, but about halfway through the meal, I started getting a headache and felt weird, like really tired and having trouble focusing. By the time we left and started heading home, my neck, jaw, and tongue were feeling tingly and occasionally numb. It was a very unpleasant sensation. When we got home, I googled MSG poisoning. I don't know why I knew to do that, but I just had a suspicion... Sure enough, these are common symptoms of an overdose of MSG. I drank a bunch of water, rested, and felt better later that night. We never went back to that restaurant again.
Since then, I've been able to avoid another case of poisoning until last weekend. We had hot pot with some friends and it happened again. Headache, then tingly numbness, and this time some nausea too. After drinking a lot of water and sleeping, I felt better, but now I know to add hot pot to my list of restaurants to avoid (sadly). The poisoning effects are just not worth it, not to mention whatever bad long-term effects happen from consuming that much MSG.
Have you ever experienced MSG poisoning/overdose? What were your symptoms?